Niagara University officially opened its new $3.1 million Elizabeth Ann Clune Center for Theatre and renovated William P. and Marie Leary Theatre with a blessing, dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony outside the new center at Clet Hall on May 1. Following the ceremony, a sold-out audience was treated to "Anything Goes," the 1930s Cole Porter classic.
The new center is named after the daughter of Niagara University alumnus Robert J. Clune, Esq., a member of the university's board of trustees, and his wife JoAnn G. Clune, both members of NU's Class of 1958.
Under construction since last May, the Elizabeth Ann Clune Center for Theatre houses a new three-level lobby, box office, lounge with a new mural exhibition, concession stand, and the newly renovated Leary Theatre, named in honor of William P., '50, and Marie Leary in 1998.
The renovated Leary Theatre seats 134 people and includes improved acoustics and lighting, an enhanced tech booth and backstage facilities such as a new green room, make-up room and backstage storage.
In addition, more than a dozen individuals who have consistently aided the theater in its mission were presented with inaugural Spirit of Niagara University Theatre awards at a special gathering on April 30 at Alumni Chapel.